Makabayan bloc: Parlade’s resignation not enough | Inquirer News
Close  

Makabayan bloc: Parlade’s resignation not enough

/ 05:46 AM July 04, 2021
Senate seeks to censure Parlade

Lt. Gen. Antonio Parlade Jr. (Joseph Vidal/Senate PRIB File)

MANILA, Philippines — The resignation of Lt. Gen. Antonio Parlade Jr. from the government’s anticommunist task force is “definitely not enough” but he must be made to account for his actions as its spokesperson.

A Makabayan lawmaker on Saturday renewed calls to abolish the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-Elcac) and for the government to exact accountability from the agency.

ADVERTISEMENT

House Assistant Minority Leader and Gabriela Women’s Rep. Arlene Brosas brushed off Parlade’s resignation as a “mere attempt to ease the pressure” of public outrage over the agency’s Red-tagging of personalities and its whopping P19-billion budget.

“Resignation is definitely not enough. His appointment was illegal and unconstitutional right from the start,” Brosas said in a statement.

FEATURED STORIES

She alleged that Parlade’s political and military career was “marred with corruption and human rights violations.”

Parlade also headed the Southern Luzon Command while serving as one of the NTF-Elcac’s spokespersons.

An anticommunist hardliner, he made controversial remarks against progressive lawmakers, journalists and show biz celebrities, and even cast doubts on the intent of community pantry organizers.

His critics have slammed his statements as Red-tagging and have previously demanded his sacking from the NTF-Elcac.

“He should be held accountable for his crimes against the Filipino people,” Brosas added.

On Thursday, Parlade announced his resignation as one of the NTF-Elcac’s spokespersons “a month ago.” His resignation was filed ahead of his retirement on July 26.

Malacañang said President Duterte accepted Parlade’s resignation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier this year, the Senate national defense committee launched an investigation of NTF-Elcac and recommended Parlade’s removal as spokesperson.

This is because Parlade, an active member of the military, is holding a civilian post in the government — a violation of the Constitution.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Antonio Parlade Jr., Makabayan bloc, NTF-ELCAC, red-tagging
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

News that matters. Subscribe now

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.