2 die after inhaling toxic gas in bathroom in S. Korea | Inquirer News
Close  

2 die after inhaling toxic gas in bathroom in S. Korea

/ 04:27 PM June 27, 2021
busan bathroom toxic gas

Firefighters in protective gear examine a restroom at a shipyard in the southeastern city of Busan on Saturday, in the photo provided by fire authorities there. Photo by Busan fire authorities via The Korea Herald/Asia News Network

BUSAN — Two workers have died after inhaling toxic gas in a bathroom at a shipyard in the southeastern city of Busan, police said Sunday.

The two, one of them 48 years old and the other 28, were found unconscious in the restroom at 11:04 a.m. on Saturday before being taken to a hospital.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 48-year-old died less than an hour later and the other died Sunday.

Police said the two were believed to have inhaled hydrogen sulfide and ammonia in the bathroom.

FEATURED STORIES

Tests have shown that hydrogen sulfide levels there were 250 parts per million at the time, more than 16 times higher than the maximum safety level of 15 ppm, they said.

Police plan to conduct an autopsy on the two to determine the exact cause of their deaths.

The two worked for an outsourcing firm handling ship electrical systems. (Yonhap)

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Accidents, Busan, deaths, Gas Leak, South korea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.