Total lockdown unlikely amid COVID surge in NegOr, says gov
DUMAGUETE CITY — Negros Oriental Gov. Roel Degamo was not keen on implementing a total lockdown even amid the surge in COVID-19 cases in the province.
“We cannot afford a total lockdown in the whole province of Negros Oriental unless the national government will help us,” he said.
The medical sector and the Dumaguete City Council recently appealed to tighten the community quarantine classification in the province to slow down the spread of the virus.
Degamo said granular lockdowns for now are seen as the “best solution” to address the problem while preserving the local economy.
Under granular lockdowns, only residences and villages with high numbers of COVID-19 cases will be placed under strict measures.
Degamo called on Dumaguete City officials such as Mayor Felipe Remollo and Dr. Maria Sarah Talla, City Health Officer, to meet with him to discuss how to manage the spike of new infections in the city.
Last week, the Dumaguete City Council requested the city’s Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) to propose to Governor Roel Degamo the possible tightening of quarantine status in the city which is currently under the modified general community quarantine.
The request was formalized through a resolution approved by the council during its regular session on Wednesday, June 9.
Negros Oriental currently has 1,837 active COVID-19 cases, 638 of which are in Dumaguete City.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.