6 barangay officials charged due to ‘superspreader events,’ says Año | Inquirer News
Close  

6 barangay officials charged due to ‘superspreader events,’ says Año

By: - Reporter / @KAguilarINQ
/ 10:11 PM June 07, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has so far filed cases against six barangay officials for supposedly failing to prevent so-called super spreader events in their jurisdictions.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Sa inyo pong pag-uutos na kasuhan natin ang mga barangay officials, anim po ang nakita natin dito at nakasuhan,” DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said in a televised meeting with President Rodrigo Duterte aired Monday.

(Pursuant to your directive to file cases against barangay officials, six have so far been charged.)

FEATURED STORIES

Año said the charged officials were linked to separate incidents in the following areas:

  • Gubat sa Ciudad incident, Brgy. 171, Caloocan City
  • Recreational and resort operations in San Jose, Navotas City
  • Boxing match in Brgy. 181 and 182 in Tondo, Manila
  • Bakas River incident in Brgy. Matiktik, Norzagaray, Bulacan
  • Brgy. Balabag, Boracay Island and Brgy. Sambiray, Malay, Aklan
  • Club Holic Bar and Restaurant, Brgy. Kamputhaw, Cebu City

Duterte earlier ordered the arrest of barangay or village chiefs in case of mass gatherings in areas under their jurisdiction due to dereliction of duty. https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1437390/barangay-captains-first-to-be-arrested-in-case-of-mass-gatherings

The President issued the order following recently reported mass gatherings, including a pool party in Quezon City that infected at least 54 people with the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, which causes severe respiratory illness COVID-19. https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1435746/covid-19-cases-from-qc-pool-party-rise-to-54

KGA

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Barangay, COVID-19, DILG, Mass Gathering, Rodrigo Duterte, super spreader events
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.