Signal No. 2 up in 9 areas due to Tropical Storm Dante
MANILA, Philippines — Nine areas were placed under Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal (TCWS) No. 2 as Tropical Storm Dante continues its north-northwestward track, moving closer to Eastern Samar, the weather bureau said Tuesday.
In its 5 p.m. severe weather bulletin, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said Dante slightly weakened as it moved toward Eastern Samar.
Dante was packing maximum sustained winds of 65 kilometers per hour and gusts of up to 80 kph, moving north-northwestward at 25 kph.
The following areas are under Signal No. 2:
- Camarines Sur
- Southern portion of Camarines Norte (San Lorenzo Ruiz, San Vicente, Talisay, Daet, Bausud, Mercedes)
- Masbate including Ticao Burias Island
- Eastern Samar
- Northern Samar
- The northeastern portion of Leyte (Caligara, Barugo, San Miguel, Babatngon, Tacloban City, Alangalang, Tunga, Santa Fe, Palo
These areas are expected to have “damaging gale-force winds” prevailing or expected within 24 hours, Pagasa said.
Meanwhile, Signal No. 1 were hoisted over the following areas, where strong winds will prevail or expected within 36 hours:
- Southeastern portion of Batangas (Lobo, San Juan, Rosario, Taysan, City of Tanauan, Santo Tomas, Malvar, Lipa City, Padre Garcia, Ibaan, Batangas City, Balete, Mataasnakahoy, San Jose
- Quezon including Polilo Islands
- The rest of Camarines Norte
- The northeastern portion of Aklan (Lezo, Numancia, Banga, Kalibo, New Washington, Balete, Batan, Altavas, Makato, Tangalan
- Northeastern portion of Capiz (Mambusao, Sapi-An, Ivisan, Roxas City, Panitan, Sigma, Panay, Pontevedra, President Roxas, Pilar, Ma-Ayon, Dao, Cuertero)
- Northeast portion of Iloilo (Sara, San Dionisio, Batad, Estancia, Balasan, Carles, Lemery, Ajuy, Concepcion)
- Northeastern portion of Negros Occidental (Manapla, Cadiz City, Sagay City, City of Escalante, Toboso, City of Victorias, Calatrava
- Northern portion of Cebu (Balamban, Asturias, Tuburan, Tabuelan, Sogod, Borbon, Tabogon, Bantayan Islands, Daanbantayan, Medellin, Catmon, Danao City, Carmen, Compostela, Cebu City, Liloan, Consolacion, Mandaue City, Lapu-Lapu City, Cordova
- Northeastern portion of Bohol (Getafe, Talibon, Trinidad, Bien Unido, Ubay, San Miguel, Alicia, Buenavista, Mabini, Candijay, Anda, Inabanga, Guindulman, Dagohoy, Pilar, Danao, Pres. Carlos P. Garcia)
- The rest of Leyte
- Southern Leyte
- Surigao del Norte including Siargao and Bucas Grande Islands
- Dinagat Island
- The northern portion of Agusan del Norte (Kitcharao, Jabonga, Santiago, Tubay, City of Cabadbaran, Magallanes, Remedios T. Romualdez, Butuan City)
- Northern portion of Agusan del Sur (Sibagat)
- Northern portion of Surigao del Sur (San Miguel, Tago, City of Tandag, Cortes, Lanuza, Carmen, Madrid, Cantilan, Carrascal)
Pagasa said moderate to heavy with at times intense rains is expected over Surigao del Norte, Dinagat Islands, Leyte, Southern Leyte, Biliran, Masbate, and Romblon on Tuesday until Wednesday morning.
Meanwhile, moderate to heavy rains will prevail over Surigao del Sur, Agusan del Norte, Camiguin, Samar, Bohol, the northern portion of Marinduque and the southern portion of Quezon.
Misamis Oriental, Agusan del Sur, Bukidnon, Catanduanes and the rest of Visayas will also be likely to have light to moderate with at times heavy rains, Pagasa said.
The weather agency warned that scattered flooding, including flash floods, and landslides are “highly likely.”
Pagasa also said that rough to very rough seas will be experienced over the seaboards of areas under Signal No. 2 as well as the eastern seaboard of Carago, making sea travel risky.
Moderate to rough seas is likewise expected over the eastern seaboard of Davao Oriental and the remaining seaboards of areas under Signal No. 1.
Pagasa warned mariners of small seacrafts to take precautionary measures when venturing out to the sea.
“Inexperienced mariners should avoid navigating in these conditions,” the weather agency added.
Dante is expected to make initial landfall over Eastern Samar between Tuesday night and Wednesday early morning and is expected to remain as a tropical storm category prior to landfall.
Pagasa said Dante may weaken into a tropical depression on Thursday and to low pressure area on Saturday.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Click here for more weather related news.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.