37 performers heal from 'food poisoning' in Cebu City  | Inquirer News
Close  

37 performers heal from ‘food poisoning’ in Cebu City 

/ 05:10 PM May 24, 2021

CEBU CITY –– At least 37 event performers who were hospitalized for ‘food poisoning’ on Sunday have recovered and were discharged from the hospital.

In a written statement issued on Monday, May 24, the Archdiocese of Cebu’s Commission on the Laity said the group of performers fell ill after reportedly eating ‘humba,’ a Cebuano pork dish.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are closely monitoring other participants from outside Cebu City. So far, we have not received more reports of people falling ill from the packed lunch,” said Fe Mantuhac-Barino, chairperson of the Commission on the Laity.

The incident happened during the Pentecost Sunday celebration held at the International Eucharistic Congress Convention Center (IC3) in Cebu City on May 23.

FEATURED STORIES

“We are not discounting the possibility that the incident was really food poisoning from humba. We are waiting for the official results of the investigation (conducted by the Department of Health),” Barino said.

“The hospital bills incurred by the performers during the medical observation period were all paid for by the Charismatic Communities with the assistance of Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma,” she added.

Msgr. Joseph Tan, spokesperson of the Archdiocese of Cebu, said the 37 performers suffered from “mild to severe cases” of stomach upset due to possible food poisoning.

The Feast of the Pentecost held at the IC3 was part of the year-long celebration of the 500 years of Christianity in the Philippines.

The event was approved by the COVID-19 Inter-Agency Task Force, Emergency Operations Center (EOC), and the Cebu City government.

Barino said all COVID-19 protocols were observed during the event. Medics from the EOC and the Quick Response Team Cebu City Risk Reduction Management Office were also on standby during the event.”

LZB

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cebu City, event performers, Food Poisoning
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.