Mayors reach decision on new quarantine status for Metro Manila
MANILA, Philippines – Metro Manila mayors have decided on the quarantine status of the metropolis after May 14, but have also agreed to keep their recommendation confidential, according to Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Benhur Abalos on Thursday.
Abalos said the Metro Manila Council which is composed of all the mayors of Metro Manila, along with representatives from the Department of Health and the National Economic and Development Authority, took into consideration various factors including vaccination rollouts, reported COVID-19 cases, and current economic conditions in coming up with the recommendation.
“After a thorough consideration of all factors presented such as hospitals’ capacity, the arrival of vaccines, decrease in the number of new COVID-19 cases, and present economic conditions, the NCR mayors have come up with its recommendation as to the quarantine status come May 15,” Abalos said in a statement.
“However, the body agreed to keep the recommendation confidential. This same recommendation will be presented to the IATF (Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases) at its meeting today, which in turn will be presented to President Rodrigo Duterte who has the final say on the matter,” he added.
Abalos has assured that the recommendation will benefit residents of Metro Manila, especially with regards to their safety, while also putting a premium on the economy.
“Rest assured that the decision and recommendation reached upon by the Metro Manila mayors will be most beneficial to the residents of the National Capital Region (NCR), putting utmost importance to a balance between health and safety of the public and on the economy.”
President Rodrigo Duterte extended in late April the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) in the NCR Plus bubble until May 14.
The mayors of Caloocan City and the municipality of Pateros have previously expressed their support for the extension of the MECQ in the NCR Plus bubble, citing the newly reported number of COVID-19 cases.
Makati City Mayor Abby Binay, meanwhile, said the mayors of Metro Manila have a “unified position” to gradually lift restrictions in the NCR amid the pandemic.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.