Olongapo sees stream of seniors dying of COVID-19
SAN ANTONIO, Zambales—The stream of senior citizens dying of COVID-19 continues in Olongapo City, which is seeing four consecutive days of elderly people succumbing to the disease.
The death toll in the city alone has already risen to 70 with another death of a senior citizen on Monday (May 3).
Olongapo Mayor Rolen Paulino Jr. said the latest fatality was an 83-year-old man from Barangay Sta. Rita.
The patient was hypertensive and was confined in a hospital on April 29. Results of test showed he had been infected with SARS Cov2, the highly contagious virus that causes COVID-19.
Paulino said the man, who was among the COVID-19 cases recorded in the city on Sunday, had three close contacts who are being closely monitored.
Five other senior citizens had died of COVID-19 in the city since April 30.
So far, Olongapo has 168 active COVID-19 cases out of 1,516 total infections recorded since 2020.
At least 1,270 of these cases had already recovered or their infections did not develop into COVID-19.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.