Muslim compound in Ilocos Sur town locked down amid COVID-19 outbreak
LAOAG CITY –– At least 53 residents of a Muslim compound in Bantay town in Ilocos Sur province have tested positive for COVID-19, authorities said on Monday, May 3.
The virus outbreak in the Muslim compound in village III came as Muslims across the country await the end of the Holy month of Ramadan, said Bantay Mayor Samuel Parilla in a statement.
Parilla said mass swab testing was held at the Muslim compound on April 29, which yielded the bulk of the positive results among its residents.
Since April 30, the compound had been placed on lockdown to limit the movement of people to avert the virus spread, Parilla said.
Bantay has logged around 138 COVID-19 cases, said Parilla.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.