Worker in Cotabato town dies in electrocution accident
COTABATO CITY—A construction worker in Pigcawayan town, Cotabato province died after he was accidentally electrocuted early on Thursday (April 29), according to police.
Three others, including a police officer who came to help, suffered minor burns in the freak accident.
According to a police report, Jesus Tagaan, 45, was working on a steel water tank tower at the village of Balogo when he accidentally touched an overhead high-tension wire.
He died on the spot due to severe electric shock and his body was seen dangling midway through the 40-foot high tower.
Sgt. Atilano Arandilla III, of the Pigcawayan police office, who lives nearby, tried to pull Tagaan down but he, too, was electrocuted and suffered minor burns in the process.
Two of Tagaan’s co-workers—Arandilla Meynard Calimos, 30, and his elder brother Rene, 50—were also injured.
Tagaan and the Calimos brothers are from nearby Pikit town.
According to Rene Calimos, Tagaan accidentally touched the transmission line, which caused an explosion.
The workers were not wearing safety gear.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.