Typhoon Bising weakens, Signal No. 2 in Catanduanes, parts of CamSur, Albay, Sorsogon
MANILA, Philippines — Typhoon Bising further weakened while moving north, the state weather bureau said Tuesday.
In its 5 a.m. update, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said the typhoon was last spotted 505 kilometers east of Infanta, Quezon.
Pagasa said Bising was moving north slowly with maximum sustained winds of 175 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center and gustiness of up to 215 kph.
The state weather bureau forecast “heavy to intense rains”over Catanduanes while the eastern portion of Camarines Sur and Rapu-Rapu Islands will have moderate to heavy rains.
“Under these conditions and considering the antecedent rainfall over the aforementioned areas, flooding (including flashfloods) and rain-induced landslides are highly likely to occur especially in areas identified in hazard maps as highly or very highly susceptible to these hazards,” Pagasa said.
Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal No.2 remains hoisted over the following areas:
- Eastern portion of Camarines Sur (Sagnay, San Jose, Lagonoy, Garchitorena, Presentacion, Caramoan),
- Northeastern portion of Albay (Tiwi, Malinao, Tabaco City, Malilipot, Bacacay, Rapu-Rapu)
Winds greater than 61 kph and up to 120 kph may be expected in at least 24 hours in these areas, according to Pagasa.
Meanwhile, the state weather bureau raised Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal No. 1 over the following:
- Cagayan including Babuyan Island
- Eastern portion of Kalinga (Pinukpuk, Rizal, Tabuk City
- Extreme eastern portion of Mountain Province (Paracelis
- Extreme eastern portion of Ifugao (Alfonso Lista
- Northern portion of Aurora (Baler, Dipaculao, Dinalungan, Casiguran, Dilasag
- Eastern portion of Quezon (Calauag, Guinayangan, Tagkawayan, Buenavista, San Narciso, San Andres) including Polillo Island
- Camarines Norte
- Rest of Camarines Sur
- Rest of Albay
- Northern portion of Masbate (Aroroy, Masbate City, Baleno, Mobo, Uson, Palanas, Dimasalang) including Burias and Ticao Islands
- Northern Samar
- Northern portion of Samar (Tagapul-An, Almagro, Santo Nino, Calbayog City, Santa Margarita, Gandara, Pagsanghan, Tarangnan, San Jorge, San Jose de Buan, Matuguinao)
- Northern portion of Eastern Samar (Maslog, Can-Avid, Dolores, Oras, San Policarpo, Arteche, Jipapad)
Pagasa said winds of 30 to 60 kph and intermittent rains are expected in these areas in at least the next 36 hours.
The state weather bureau forecasts Bising to “gradually weaken throughout the forecast period” and may be downgraded to a severe tropical storm by Saturday evening or early Sunday morning.
Click here for more weather related news.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.