Distribution of aid to ECQ areas to start Wednesday
MANILA, Philippines — The national government will begin distributing assistance to citizens affected by the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) on Wednesday, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said.
As of Tuesday, DILG spokesperson Jonathan Malaya reported that approximately 90 percent of the P22.9 billion in assistance were downloaded to local government units (LGUs) in Metro Manila, Rizal, Bulacan, Cavite, and Laguna that are subject to the ECQ until April 11.
“Dito naman po sa ating ayuda mula sa national government, natanggap na ng almost 90 percent ng mga LGUs yung ayuda from the national government. Bukas na bukas po ay magsisimula na ang ating pamimigay,” Malaya said in a televised briefing.
(On the assistance from the national government, almost 90 percent of LGUs have received the aid. Tomorrow, we will start the distribution.)
Malaya said distribution of aid would begin on Wednesday in Parañaque City and Caloocan City, and on Thursday in Manila, Mandaluyong and Valenzuela.
Beneficiaries will receive P1,000 each, up to a maximum of P4,000 per family — either in cash or in-kind, as determined by the LGUs.
Malaya said that some LGUs began distributing aid last week with their own funds.
Malacañang admitted that the assistance was insufficient, but that no additional assistance would be given despite the extension of the ECQ implementation.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.