MPD says 1 of 2 ‘tortured’ teens a suspected Batang City Jail member | Inquirer News
Close  

MPD says 1 of 2 ‘tortured’ teens a suspected Batang City Jail member

By: - Reporter / @ConsINQ
/ 04:23 PM February 10, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — One of the alleged tortured teenagers in Tondo, Manila was a suspected member of the Batang City Jail (BCJ) as authorities were eyeing gang war angle in the slaying of the minors, Manila Police District (MPD) Homicide Section said on Wednesday.

Chormel Buenaflor and Carl Justin Banogon, both aged 15, were found dead off the Islang Puting Bato breakwaters days after they went missing on Jan. 31.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a phone interview with INQUIRER.net, MPD Homicide Chief Police Captain Henry Navarro said Buenaflor’s body bore BCJ tattoos.

“There’s a possibility that this incident involved a gang war, reportedly they are in groups. We are looking at street gangs if they have war in the victims’ areas,” said Navarro.

FEATURED STORIES

“One of the victims, Chormel Buenaflor, [was] a member of the BCJ. We are still checking with the city hall’s social welfare department if they have records. These minors, if they have violations, go straight to the social welfare since they are minors,” he added.

“Based on our experience, we observed that when we arrested suspects, they have distinct tattoos for street gangs. Sometimes, even if they have three dots in tattoos, we will know which gang they belong to,” Navarro further explained.

Banogon’s kin, meanwhile, told the police that they previously sent the victim to the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) for being a troublemaker in their household.

“Carl Justine’s grandmother told us that they sent the child to DSWD because he is already stealing money from them for computer shops or for his traveling with friends,” Navarro said.

Buenaflor and Banogon’s bodies were found off the Islang Puting Bato breakwaters, which is the catch basin of Manila Bay’s dump.

Banogon’s corpse was found on Feb. 2 Buenaflor’s body was discovered on Feb. 3.

Both suffered from several “punctured” wounds, which Navarro suspected was inflicted by an ice pick or screwdriver.

ADVERTISEMENT

Navarro said both the fatalities were inside a black bag and wrapped in masking tape.

For now, Navarro said they are also looking at the last destination of both victims to determine the perpetrators and arrest them.

INQUIRER.net contacted the victims’ families for comment but has yet to reply as of posting time.

RELATED STORY

Unidentified men abandon a dead body with gunshot wounds in Manila 

ac

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Manila, Metro, Police, teenagers, torture victims
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.