DILG chief Año extends leave until February
MANILA, Philippines — Interior Secretary Eduardo Año, who contracted Covid-19 twice last year, extended his leave until the end of February upon his doctors’ recommendation, Interior Undersecretary and spokesman Jonathan Malaya said Tuesday.
“SILG [Secretary of the Interior and Local Government] extended his leave until the end of the month. The extension was upon doctors’ advice for him to fully recuperate, regain his strength, and prioritize his health above all else,” Malaya told reporters in a text message.
Currently, DILG Undersecretary for Peace and Order Bernardo Florece is the officer-in-charge of the interior department.
Año took a one-month leave in January because his doctors advised him to rest after he was infected with the severe respiratory disease twice last year.
To date, Philippines recorded a total of 527,272 Covid-19 infections with 487,574 recoveries and 10,807 fatalities.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.