Manila City gov’t cancels all Chinese New Year events due to pandemic | Inquirer News
Close  

Manila City gov’t cancels all Chinese New Year events due to pandemic

/ 08:05 PM January 29, 2021
Manila Mayor Isko Moreno

Manila City Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso. (Photo from the Manila City Mayor’s Office)

MANILA, Philippines — All activities for the celebration of the Chinese New Year in Manila, home to the famous Chinatown district Binondo, are canceled due to Covid-19 pandemic, Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso said Friday.

Executive Order No. 4 series of 2021 from the city government of Manila states that no dragon dance, street party, stage show, parade or any other similar activity will be held for the celebration of Chinese New Year from February 11 to 12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Selling liquor and other alcoholic beverages within the city’s Binondo Chinatown area have also been banned during the celebration, according to the mayor.

He said the festivities were canceled “in order not to put in vain all initiatives the city had already undertaken the entire duration of this pandemic.”

FEATURED STORIES

“The activities during the (Chinese) New Year celebration, if not canceled, can be surely an easy medium of Covid-19 spread and transmission, thereby endangering the health, well-being and safety not only of residents but also their visitors who will join them in the celebration,” Moreno said in a statement.

The cancellation, he added, is more compelling due to the threat of the more infectious UK variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19.

Aside from these measures, the city government has likewise, prohibited the use of firecracker and pyrotechnic devices during the celebration to ensure the safety of the public.

Moreno also reminded his constituents to comply with the City Ordinance No. 5555, which prohibits serving or drinking of alcoholic beverages in public areas, particularly in streets and sidewalks.

“All barangay officials of the city are hereby directed to take the necessary measures to ensure the effective and efficient implementation of this executive order,” the mayor said.

JPV

RELATED STORY:

For some 300 million Chinese, reunions in their hometown is not an option this Chinese New Year

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Binondo, Chinese new year, coronavirus Philippines, COVID-19, Isko Moreno, Manila
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.