Sisters aged 88 and 78 dead as fire consumes their house in Leyte town
ORMOC CITY—Two elderly sisters died in fire that razed their house in Isabel town, Leyte province late on Thursday (Jan. 28).
Estrelita Ramas, 88, and her sister, Conegunda, 78, were believed trapped inside their house when the fire broke out, said SFO4 Cosmeito Tante.
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.
FO3 Kenneth Ian Villaflor, the case investigator, said the siblings lived in the house owned by their mother who died several years ago.
Villaflor said the two preferred to stay in their mother’s house after both of them became widows because they loved to spend their mornings in their vegetable garden.
The fire investigator said a relative of the siblings suspected that a kerosene lamp they were using while they slept might have been the cause of the fire.
Damage was estimated at P50, 000.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.