Post-holiday surge forces QC to impose lockdown on 4 areas
MANILA, Philippines — Four areas in Quezon City will be placed under special concern lockdown after the local government detected a sudden increase of Covid-19 cases caused by holiday gatherings.
In a statement on Tuesday, the city government said they imposed stricter community quarantine status at No. 62 Agno Extension in Barangay Tatalon; No. 1 Salary Street in Barangay Sangandaan; No. 54 Interior, Magsalin Street in Barangay Apolonio Samson; and 9C, 9D, 97 La Felonila Street in Barangay Damayang Lagi.
In Agno Extension, 60 families are affected by the lockdown, while Magsalin Street has 60 affected families.
In La Felonila Street, 150 families are affected in the strict quarantine, said the city government.
Meanwhile, Barangay Sangandaan lockdown is affecting five families.
Dr. Rolly Cruz, head of the City Epidemiological and Surveillance Unit, said families would undergo swab testing to identify other infected persons.
He added that even if family members tested negative for Sars-CoV-2, causative agent of Covid-19, they would still finish their 14-day isolation requirement “to check if they will develop any symptoms during the said period.”
In the same statement, Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte said that the special concern lockdown would effectively suppress virus transmission among families and neighbors.
On January 7, the local government also placed MCP HOA under strict lockdown, while a portion of the Pingkian 1, Central B in Barangay Pasong Tamo was also under strict quarantine on January 14.
So far, Quezon City has a total of 29,276 infections of the severe respiratory disease with 1,097 active cases, 27,386 recoveries and 793 deaths.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.