PH military says manhunt won’t cease for Tiamzon couple | Inquirer News
Close  

PH military says manhunt won’t cease for Tiamzon couple

/ 05:16 PM November 27, 2020

MANILA, Philippines—The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Friday (Nov. 27) said the manhunt for communist rebel leaders Benito and Wilma Tiamzon would continue following their conviction for the kidnapping and illegal detention of four government troopers.

Maj. Gen. Edgard Arevalo, AFP spokesperson, said the military welcomes the guilty ruling against the Tiamzon couple.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The many victims of NPA atrocities and the AFP rejoice” at the conviction of the Tiamzons, said Arevalo.

The Quezon City Regional Trial Court convicted the couple and sentenced them to reclusion perpetua, or up to 40 years imprisonment, and ordered them to pay damages and indemnity worth at least P225,000.

FEATURED STORIES

The cases against the rebel couple were in connection with the 1988 captivity by communist rebels of three military officers and an anti-narcotics agent, who had been kept captive for two months.

Charges had been filed in court in 1990 but the Tiamzon couple had been arrested and arraigned only in 2014.

The couple were arrested in 2014 in Cebu. Two years later, they were released from detention on orders of President Rodrigo Duterte and participated in peace negotiations as consultants of the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP).

Duterte eventually cancelled the talks and the Quezon City court ordered the arrest of the couple in 2018 but they had gone into hiding since.

The Tiamzons are also facing murder charges in connection with the alleged purge by communist rebels of suspected spies in the 1980s which the military said had been confirmed by a mass grave unearthed in Inopacan town, Leyte province.

“The AFP will continue to hunt them down after they have violated the provisions of their temporary liberty by virtue of their being nominated as consultants in the  peace negotiations with government,” Arevalo said.

“They refused to submit themselves to government after the peace negotiations did not prosper,” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said the conviction of the couple is “a victory for the many victims of atrocities of the NPA particularly orders to conduct murder, arson, extortion, ambushes, bombing and the like that they orchestrated.”

RELATED:

QC Court finds Tiamzon couple guilty of kidnapping, serious illegal detention

TSB

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Abraham Asis, Armed Forces of the Philippines, Benito Tiamzon, conviction, guilty, Inopacan, Military, New People's Army, Quezon City RTC, rebels, Tiamzon, Wilma Tiamzon
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.