DOLE inclined to lift work stoppage order on Skyway extension project
MANILA, Philippines — Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III on Thursday said he is inclined to lift the work stoppage order on a portion of the Skyway extension project following an accident that left one dead and six others injured last week.
“Merong recommendation ang aming regional director na pati yung area where the accident took place, they’re recommending the lifting of the work stoppage order,” Bello said in a televised briefing.
(Our regional director has recommended lifting the work stoppage order even in the area where the accident took place.)
“And I’m inclined to follow the recommendation of our regional director,” he added.
Bello said the project proponents already complied with occupational safety requirements..
He also noted that the Skyway extension project is one of the key projects under the Duterte administration’s “Build, Build, Build” program scheduled for completion by the end of this year.
Department of Labor and Employment – National Capital Region (DOLE-NCR) Director Sarah Mirasol earlier ordered EEI Corp., the contractor of the Skyway extension project, to suspend work in the Muntinlupa portion of the project where the accident happened.
It was later reported that Bello ordered EEI to stop all construction activities in the entire Skyway extension project, but the DOLE chief said he was not aware of any stoppage order.
DOLE previously flagged the project owner and contractors of the project for failing to identify hazards which led to the collapse of a steel girder at the Skyway project site.
San Miguel Corp., the project proponent, has since apologized to victims and families of the accident and vowed to extend all necessary forms of assistance.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.