Quezon governor raises red alert for Tropical Storm Ulysses
LUCENA CITY — The provincial government of Quezon has raised the red alert on Tuesday (Nov. 10) for the possible impact of Tropical Storm Ulysses (international name Vamco).
Quezon Gov. Danilo Suarez, in a memo issued around 3 p.m., said he expected the eye of Ulysses to make landfall on Quezon.
The order was posted on Facebook by the provincial government’s public information office.
It ordered all mayors and local disaster preparedness councils to “raise emergency operations to red alert.”
The provincial and local disaster preparedness officials were also ordered to heed protocol listed by “Operation Listo (Operation Alert)” of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).
The protocols seek strengthening of disaster alertness, preparedness, response and monitoring by local government units.
Suarez said quick response teams should be on the ready for deployment.
Authorities earlier alerted residents of disaster-prone communities to prepare to evacuate.
Shelters have also been prepared throughout the province to accommodate the displaced.
The Philippine Coast Guard suspended all sea travel.
A red alert would put officials on standby for emergencies that would need quick response.
Under red alert, rescue and relief teams are required to be on duty 24 hours a day.
In an 11 a.m. bulletin, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration said Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal No. 1 had been raised over the southern portion of Quezon.
Packing maximum sustained winds of 75 kph near the center and gustiness of up to 90 kph, Ulysses may reach typhoon category, and its peak intensity will be on Wednesday afternoon or evening.