Ulysses slightly intensifies, may develop to severe tropical storm Tuesday night
MANILA, Philippines — Tropical Storm Ulysses (international name: Vamco) slightly intensified and accelerated while moving northwest toward the Philippine Sea, the state weather bureau said Tuesday.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa), in its 11 a.m. severe weather bulletin, added that Ulysses is expected to further intensify to a severe tropical storm by Tuesday night.
Based on Pagasa’s forecast, Ulysses was last spotted at 475 kilometers east of Virac, Catanduanes.
Ulysses packed maximum winds of 75 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center, and gustiness of up to 90 kph.
The tropical storm was also moving northwestward at 15 kph.
State meteorologists said that Ulysses will move generally northwestward on Tuesday then turn westward on Wednesday.
“On the forecast track, the center of Ulysses is more likely to make landfall over Quezon on Thursday morning, with a close approach of Catanduanes and Camarines Norte [Wednesday] afternoon and evening, respectively,” Pagasa said.
Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal (TCWS) No. 1 is hoisted over:
- Camarines Norte
- Camarines Sur
- the eastern portion of Masbate (Aroroy, Pio V. Corpuz, Cataingan, Palanas, Uson, Dimasalang, Masbate City, Mobo, Baleno) including Ticao and Burias Islands
- the southern portion of Quezon (Atimonan, Padre Burgos, Agdangan, Unisan, Plaridel, Gumaca, Pitogo, Macalelon, General Luna, Lopez, Catanauan, Mulanay, San Francisco, San Andres,
- San Narciso, Buenavista, Guinayangan, Tagkawayan, Calauag, Quezon, Alabat, Perez)
- Northern Samar
- the northern portion of Samar (Santo Nino, Almagro, Tagapul-An, Tarangnan, Calbayog City, Santa Margarita, Gandara, Pagsanghan, San Jorge, San Jose de Buan, Matuguinao)
- the northern portion of Eastern Samar (Maslog, Dolores, Oras, San Policarpo, Arteche, Jipapad)
Because of Ulysses, Pagasa warned that a moderate to high risk of storm surge reaching one to two meters may occur over the coastal areas of Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon), Aurora, Camarines Provinces, Catanduanes, Albay, Metro Manila, Bulacan, Pampanga, Bataan, Romblon, and Marinduque, the western coastal area of Masbate including Burias Island, and the northern coastal areas of Occidental Mindoro and Oriental Mindoro including Lubang Island in the next 48 hours.
Because of Ulysses, light to moderate with at times heavy rain will also be experienced over Aurora, Quezon, Bicol Region, Eastern and Central Visayas, Caraga, Zamboanga Peninsula, Basilan, Sulu, Tawi-Tawi for Tuesday.
Meanwhile, moderate to heavy rains associated with the rain bands of Ulysses will begin affecting Bicol Region and portions of Eastern Visayas by Wednesday, Pagasa added.
Click here for more weather related news.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.