Duterte still in Davao; back in Manila on Tuesday — Roque
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte is still staying in his hometown Davao amid the threat of Typhoon Rolly (international name: Goni) and will return to Manila by Tuesday, Malacañang said on Sunday.
“Sa ngayon po nasa Davao po ang ating presidente. Ang scheduled na pagbalik po niya ay sa Tuesday pero siya ay nakatutok at siya po ay nagutos na magconduct ng ganitong press briefing kung saan na sasamahan ng kalihim na namumuno sa mga ahensya na magbibigay ng tulong sa ating mga kababayan,” presidential spokesman Harry Roque said in a televised press briefing on updates about Typhoon Rolly.
(For now he is Davao. He is scheduled to return on Tuesday but he is monitoring the situation and ordered to arrange this press briefing which is joined by some of our government officials heading agencies that would help our constituents.)
Duterte skipped the televised press conference where government officials discussed their plans and updates so far in the response to Typhoon Rolly.
When asked about Duterte’s reason for not attending the meeting, Roque said the president could not travel due to the typhoon.
“Hindi kasi makabiyahe sa Maynila dahil nga sa bagyo… pero nakamonitor ang presidente. We expect him to address the nation pero hindi ko alam kung kailan,” the Palace official said.
(He can’t travel to Manila right now due to the typhoon but he is monitoring the situation. We expect him to address the nation but we have yet to give an update about this.)
Earlier, #NasaanAngPangulo (Where is the president?) dominated trending topics on Twitter as Duterte missed the typhoon Rolly briefing at1 0 a.m.
Click here for more weather related news.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.