12 fishermen missing as Typhoon Quinta drenches Philippines

MANILA, Philippines — Search operations were underway Monday for the 12 missing fishermen in the Philippines as Typhoon Quinta (international name: Molave) swept across the archipelago, flooding low-lying areas and forcing thousands of people into emergency shelters.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Monday that the fishermen went missing in Brgy. Pananogan, Bato; Cagdarao, Panganiban, District 3, and Gigmoto in Catanduanes. The Philippine Coast Guard was leading the rescue operations.

No deaths have been recorded so far.

At least two people, however, were injured after a tree fell due to strong winds in Oriental Mindoro province, its governor told local broadcaster Teleradyo.

Based on the latest monitoring report, Typhoon Quinta has affected 2,823 families in Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol and Cordillera regions.

A total of 1,493 families were staying in 68 evacuation centers, while 968 families chose to stay with friends or relatives, the NDRRMC said.

Government agencies have allotted P890-million worth of standby funds for relief operations.

Packing maximum sustained winds of 130 kilometers (80 miles) per hour, Typhoon Quinta made landfall Sunday on the southern end of the main island of Luzon before moving west across the country.

Villages and farmland in the typhoon’s path were flooded while powerful winds toppled trees and utility poles.

Rescuers were also searching for a person missing after their boat was submerged in Batangas province, south of Manila. Seven other crew members were rescued.

Quinta was forecast to start moving across the West Philippine Sea Monday. With reports from Agence France-Presse

LATEST STORIES
Read more...