Girl, 4, dead after eating ‘tahong’ in Catbalogan City | Inquirer News
Close  

Girl, 4, dead after eating ‘tahong’ in Catbalogan City

/ 07:04 PM October 15, 2020

TACLOBAN CITY—A four-year girl died on Tuesday (Oct. 13) a day after eating green mussel, or “tahong,” in Catbalogan City, Samar.

Medical experts believed the girl died due to “paralytic shellfish poisoning” or red tide.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) reiterated its appeal to the public not to gather, consume or sell shellfish from areas with high levels of red tide toxins.

The girl, whose name was withheld, and other members of her family who ate the green mussels suffered vomiting, difficulty in breathing, and numbness.

FEATURED STORIES

They were brought to the Samar Provincial Hospital, also in Catbalogan City, but the girl was declared dead on arrival by doctors there.

TSB

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Catbalogan City, mussels, poisoning, red tide, Samar, tahong
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.