PDEA to destroy around one ton seized illegal drugs on Oct. 15
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) will incinerate around one ton of seized illegal drugs on Thursday, Oct. 15 in line with President Rodrigo Duterte’s order to destroy all confiscated drugs in a week’s time to avoid recycling.
“Kasalukuyan po ang ating paghahanda dahil sa October 15 po, sa darating na Huwebes ay nakatakda po tayong magsunog ng at least one ton of dangerous drugs sa atin pong destruction site sa Trece Martires, Cavite,” PDEA spokesperson Derrick Carreon during state-run PTV’s Laging Handa Public Briefing on Monday.
Carreon said the agency has sought the help of Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra so that prosecutors of pending drug cases can get the courts’ permission to inspect and eventually destroy drug evidence.
“Definitely po sisikapin naming makuha yung mga kaukulang court orders upang maisama natin sa ating impending destruction on Oct. 15,” Carreon said.
Last week, Duterte said last week ordered all concerned government agencies to destroy seized illegal drugs like shabu to prevent recycling and reselling.
“I am reminding whoever is in charge of these things, I will make a visit to the facilities kung saan ninyo tinatago ang droga,” Duterte said in a recent pre-recorded speech.
“I want all the shabu, residual or otherwise, however minimal, destroyed. All of it, by next week. You have so many days to do it. One week. Do it for one week. Destroy and get a specimen. Tutal, pag mag-ocular inspection, may prosecutor ‘yan,” he added.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.