Close  

Disinfect, sanitize to arrest COVID-19 spread, CDO folk urged

/ 09:42 AM September 27, 2020
DOH to public: Regularly wash hands, hydrate, eat healthy food

INQUIRER.net STOCK IMAGE

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY — Local health authorities are underscoring the importance of disinfection before entering one’s residence amid the lingering threat of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

The reminder was issued after a registered nurse, several weeks ago, went home to her family.

ADVERTISEMENT

A few days later, her 77-year-old grandmother fell ill and was found to have contracted COVID-19, and died.

When traced and tested, the nurse was eventually found positive for COVID-19, although she showed no symptoms.

FEATURED STORIES

Health authorities said she may have brought the infection home with her.

“A lot of our workers relax their guard when they are at home, even after spending hours outside,” said Dr. Joselito Retuya, chief epidemiologist at the City Health Office here.

“Workers should clean up before entering their residences. They should disinfect to avoid inviting COVID-19 to homes,” Retuya appealed.

He said they should leave their used clothes outside their residence and take a shower before mingling with the rest of the family.

Retuya explained that the recent surge in cases due to local virus transmission is attributed to workers, whether in private or government offices and institutions, and mostly aged between 21 to 40 years old.

Workers are considered authorized persons outside of residence (APOR), based on current health protocols.

As of September 24, the city has 265 active cases, 223 of which (84 percent), are due to local transmission, and 42 are returnees.

ADVERTISEMENT

The highest single-day count was recorded on Sept. 23, at 20 cases. Of the total 327 local cases, so far, 26 have died.

Isolation facility

As cases continue to rise, the local government is building another isolation facility in an undisclosed location to cater to the growing number of COVID-19 patients and suspects, especially that the Department of Health has already discouraged home quarantine even for asymptomatic

Mayor Oscar Moreno said the facility will house mild to moderate cases to help ease the patient load at the Northern Mindanao Medical Center (NMMC), the region’s main COVID-19 referral hospital.

Moreno thanked Polymedic Plaza, a private hospital, for donating 25 beds for the facility which will be run like an infirmary by the local government-owned JR Borja General Hospital.

An emergency transport service is also arranged with the disaster response office so that patients who need to be brought to NMMC can be readily transferred.

“We are doing everything we can,” Moreno assured.

gsg

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cagayan de Oro, COVID-19, disinfect, saniitize
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.