outbrain
Close  

Burned portion of Skyway Stage 3 now replaced

/ 01:58 AM September 17, 2020
Skyway Stage 3 inspection

Personnel inspect the reconstructed portion of Skyway Stage that collapsed in big fire last February. (Photo from the Facebook page of DPWH Secretary Mark Villar)

MANILA, Philippines — The portion of the Metro Manila Skyway Stage 3 project that collapsed after a fire in Pandacan, Manila last February has been replaced, Secretary Mark Villar of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said in a Facebook post on Wednesday.

According to Villar, the section has been replaced while the contractor, Citra Central Expressway Corp. (CCEC), is rushing to offset the delays in the Stage 3 construction.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Skyway Stage 3, which is at 88.72 percent completion, will connect the southern end of North Luzon Expressway in Balintawak in Quezon City to the entry point of the South Luzon Expressway in Makati.

“As of latest report, lower and upper coping beams for pier 3, 4, 5 were reconstructed, and deck slab for spans 5 and 6 were completed as well. These were the burned sections from the fire incident,” Villar said in his Facebook post.

FEATURED STORIES

“We are intensifying our road right-of-way acquisition so we may soon begin construction at Section 2A. So far, we have acquired 231 out of the 350 lots that need to be acquired with permit to enter,” he added.

A 300-meter portion of the Skyway road collapsed last Feb. 1 after a massive fire struck a San Miguel Yamamura Packaging Corp. warehouse in Pandacan — which sits near the elevated highway that connects Santa Mesa Mesa to Quirino Avenue at the Manila-Makati border.

The fire delayed the opening of the project, which was originally set for April 1. But with the COVID-19 pandemic suspending work, the original three-month extension has reached five months as of September.

Despite the delays, DPWH is optimistic that the project will be finished soon, especially with the Section 1 which spans the Buendia-Quirino-Nagtahan area already 90.67 percent complete; the Section 2A covering Nagtahan-Tomas Claudio at 77.23 percent; and Section 2B or Tomas Claudio-Ramon Magsaysay Avenue at 94.39 percent.

The Section 3 or Ramon Magsaysay-Quezon Avenue area is already 96.86 percent complete, while Section 4 or Quezon Avenue-Balintawak, Quezon City is 75.67 percent complete.  Section 5 which segments Balintawak and the NLEX Footbridge is 83.56 percent complete.

The 18.68 kilometer-long Skyway Stage 3 is meant to shorten travel time between northern and southern portions of Metro Manila, with DPWH expecting to reduce travel time between Buendia to Balintawak from the two hours to only 15 to 20 minutes while accommodating around 55,000 vehicles daily.

[atm]

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Citra Central Expressway Corp., Department of Public Work and Highways (DPWH), dpwh, Mark Villar
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.