PhilHealth: Preventive suspension of 13 execs not linked to corruption probes
MANILA, Philippines — The decision of the Ombudsman to place under suspension 13 former current and former Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) officials is not related to the probes being conducted by both houses of Congress, the state health insurer firm clarified Saturday.
“We also wish to clarify that the preventive suspension orders recently issued by the Ombudsman to some of its current and former officers are not in any way connected with the ongoing hearings in both houses of Congress regarding the above-mentioned alleged corruption,” PhilHealth said in a statement.
Rather, the state health insurer said that the orders stemmed from complaints of “grave misconduct, oppression and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service” filed by some regional officers, in connection to administrative cases filed against the 13 officials between 2017 to 2019.
PhilHealth also assured that members can continue to avail of their health insurance benefits, despite the ongoing coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, as well as the investigations.
Previously, Ombudsman Samuel Martires ordered the six-month suspension without pay of the 13 officials.
Officials placed under suspension include former PhilHealth president Roy Ferrer, current vice president for corporate affairs group Shirley Domingo, and current senior vice president Rodolfo Del Rosario Jr.
“Amidst all of these, PhilHealth reiterates its commitment to fully cooperate with all the investigating authorities,” PhilHealth said.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.