Only 428 applications for cell tower permits still pending, Año tells Duterte
MANILA, Philippines — Interior Secretary Eduardo Año on Monday bared that only 428 applications of cell tower permits are still pending approval by local government units (LGUs).
In a taped meeting with President Rodrigo Duterte, Año said this is only what’s left in 1,930 applications in 80 LGUs of which 1,502 were already approved.
“We will watch over this to ensure that it won’t take long to process under the old system that took 241 days for 19 permits with 86 document requirements,” Año said in Filipino.
In the new system, Año said the processing permits would be trimmed down to around 16 days.
Duterte previously urged telecommunication companies to report local government units hampering the permits to build cell towers.
During the same meeting, Duterte said he would show “no mercy” to those involved in delaying the processing of permits.
“You know, a delay of 200 days is totally unacceptable to me. I will really go after you. I’ll show no mercy. Either you’re a supporter who helped in the election [or not],” Duterte said.
“Even if it’s a private company that’s doing the building of a tower, it is still a project of the government. It is commissioned and paid by the government exactly to do what they are supposed to do — building the towers…Do not give me that shit that it will reach all of you. Or else I will sue you all,” he added.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.