Vico Sotto shuts down e-bingo outlet, several market stalls in Pasig
MANILA, Philippines — Pasig Mayor Vico Sotto has ordered the closure of an e-bingo (electronic bingo) outlet and several market stalls in the city for violation of quarantine protocols. Sotto announced the closure of the E-bingo outlet in a Facebook post on Monday after it was found to be operational while the city was under general community quarantine (GCQ).
The Inter-Agency Task Force on the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases has banned gambling and gaming operations under GCQ.
“An E-bingo that was open during GCQ although they know that they’re not supposed to be open. There were even safety reminders at the entrance,” he said.
On Tuesday, the city’s Business Processing and Licensing Office also temporarily shut down three market stalls after the vendors failed to wear face masks.
“The closure of the E-bingo outlet was nothing to me. But when it comes to a market vendor, it’s a painful decision. I don’t want to do this but I will not allow anyone to violate minimum health and safety standards, especially the wearing of masks,” Sotto posted on his FB account.
In an online briefing, he warned that market stalls would automatically be closed if the vendors do not wear masks and handle goods properly in line with health standards.
“We have no choice but to suspend the stalls for a week. If they do it again, the punishment will be more severe. There will be no more warning. Our market officials have already reminded you several times. Your wallet will suffer. Let us not go there,” Sotto said.
“We have thousands of stallholders in the market. We hope all will comply. And this is applicable to all businesses here in Pasig… Please don’t be hardheaded,” he added.
According to him, he could not shut down the city market as many residents depended on it, as well as people from other areas like Pateros.
Sotto also made changes to the foot traffic scheme at Pasig Mega market to ensure the enforcement of physical distancing and minimum health safety standards.
Stay at home
He urged residents to report those without face masks to the market administration and city officials. “Let us comply with the social distance protocols, wear face masks and other standards. If possible, stay at home.”
As of Monday evening, the city health office had recorded 1,964 cases of the new coronavirus disease, with 1,033 of these active. There were 124 deaths and 807 recoveries.
To cope with the growing number of cases, Rizal High School started operating last week as a centralized quarantine area with 321 beds.
“If you are asymptomatic, and if the city health office calls to pull you out from the community, please cooperate,” Sotto said, adding that the quarantine facility offers bingo, Zumba, movie night and other forms of entertainment to make sure that patients would not be bored.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.