Hontiveros says lawyers now looking into Twitter user’s request for her to be shot
MANILA, Philippines — Senator Risa Hontiveros said that her lawyers are already looking into a tweet from a netizen asking that she be shot, using a Quezon City official’s recent controversial statement.
Hontiveros was notified by one Twitter user about a tweet of a certain @forumitereyster who said that the senator should be the first in line if Quezon City implements a shoot-to-kill order for quarantine violators.
In the said tweet, @forumitereyster said asked Mayor Joy Belmonte for a “shoot to discipline”, adding “Unahin si Hontiveros char” (Deal with Hontiveros first).
“My lawyers are looking into this. Not char,” Hontiveros said.
However, Belmonte — who was mentioned in the tweet — had already denounced the statements which came from Quezon City councilor Rannie Ludovica, saying that this is not a policy in Quezon City and that the remarks were irresponsible.
Ludovica who is part of the city’s discipline task force found himself in hot waters after he said that people who would violate the government’s rules under the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) should be shot.
Hontiveros clarified that she had already grown accustomed to the threats from the administration’s supporters, but noted that people who perpetrate this culture of violence should be stopped and not be allowed to go scot-free.
“Di ako naduduwag sa mga threats. Nasanay na since I’ve been critical of this government. Pero di natin palalampasin ang mga ganito kasi nasasanay lang,” the opposition senator said.
“We have to put a stop to this language & culture of violence,” she added.
My lawyers are looking into this.Not char.
Di ako naduduwag sa mga threats.Nasanay na since I’ve been critical of this government.Pero di natin palalampasin ang mga ganito kasi nasasanay lang.ADVERTISEMENT
We have to put a stop to this language & culture of violence.https://t.co/YKWeHvToqD
— risa hontiveros (@risahontiveros) August 4, 2020
Ludovica’s now-deleted post which contained the ridiculed message has drawn condemnation from various sectors, with the Department of Interior and Local Government calling it illegal and improper, and the Commission on Human Rights urging the government to do away with the peace and order approach to the pandemic. [ac]
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.