85% of Filipinos still worried about getting coronavirus – SWS | Inquirer News
Close  

85% of Filipinos still worried about getting coronavirus – SWS

/ 11:32 PM July 22, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — An estimated 85 percent of Filipinos are still worried about catching COVID-19, according to a survey conducted by the Social Weather Stations (SWS), the results of which it released on Wednesday.

The survey did not present a big change in the worry of Filipinos, compared to an SWS survey done last May.

ADVERTISEMENT

The latest survey was conducted from July 3 to 6 through mobile phone interviews of  1,555 respondents, all of them adult Filipinos

The results also showed that 67 percent were “worried a great deal” and 18 percent were “somewhat worried” — a total of 85 percent who were worried.

FEATURED STORIES

“This hardly changed from the 87% worried (73% worried a great deal, 14% somewhat worried), 7% worried a little, and 7% not worried about catching the virus in May 2020,” the SWS said in its report.

“Compared to past SWS surveys, worry about catching the COVID-19 is greater than worries about catching previous viruses such as Ebola, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS),” it added.

SWS noted that the survey was taken after community quarantines were eased in most parts of the country, including Metro Manila — the residents of which appear to be the most worried, with 92 percent of the population fearing infection.

After Metro Manila, fear of the coronavirus was highest in Balance Luzon at 87 percent, followed by the Visayas at 85 percent and Mindanao at 77 percent.

The government has been criticized often for its alleged shortcomings in its COVID-19 response, saying that the administration has been prioritizing other matters over the ongoing health crisis.

However, Cabinet officials, including presidential spokesperson Harry Roque, had assured the public earlier that the government’s COVID-19 response was not failing, citing studies that place the number of infected individuals at 3.5 million if the government had not enforced various levels of quarantine nationwide.

Incidentally, the SWS also observed a correlation between a higher worry and a higher educational attainment — as worry among college graduates was at 89 percent, followed by junior high school graduates at 86 percent,  elementary graduates at 80 percent, and non-elementary graduates at 79 percent.

ADVERTISEMENT

The SWS said that the number of the respondents were divided according to area estimates from the Philippine Statistics Authority, with 306 from the National Capital Region, 451 from Balance Luzon, 388 from Visayas, and 410 from Mindanao.

The survey firm maintains sampling error margins of ±2% for national percentages, ±6% for Metro Manila, and ±5% for Balance Luzon, ±5% for the Visayas, and ±5% for Mindanao).

/atm

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: coronavirus pandemic, coronavirus Philippines, COVID-19, fear of COVID-19, Social Weather Stations, SWS survey
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.