Diño suggests ‘shame campaign’ for those ignoring COVID-19 crisis | Inquirer News
Close  

Diño suggests ‘shame campaign’ for those ignoring COVID-19 crisis

By: - Reporter / @ConsINQ
/ 12:40 AM July 19, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Interior Undersecretary Martin Diño suggested on Saturday starting a “shame campaign” against those who would not take the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) seriously.

“If it has been found out that you are symptomatic or asymptomatic, your neighbor who you have been chatting with should know,” Diño said in Filipino in an interview over Radyo Singko on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

He had been asked to comment about Oplan Kalinga, government’s program on transferring COVID-19 patients with
mild or asymptomatic cases to isolation centers.

“So now, it may be right for us to have a shame campaign. This COVID is no longer a joke. Just imagine how many [cases] there are now. Let’s not let it grow,” Diño said.

FEATURED STORIES

He said he was disappointed at some infected people who would ignore the COVID-19 crisis.

“We can no longer just take baby steps in this problem. This will reach everyone’s doorstep if we neglect it. We who take precautions at home are sacrificing, but others can’t refrain from going out of their homes. They pay no attention to COVID. They are the ones spreading it,” he added.

Diño also dismissed the claim of some critics that Oplan Kalinga was like Oplan Tokhang, the Duterte administration’s anti-drug campaign, which is led by the Philippine National Police.

Under Oplan Kalinga, local government officials and city health officials would lead the transfer of COVID-19 patients from homes to quarantine centers, he said.

/atm

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: coronavirus pandemic, coronavirus Philipppines, COVID-19, DILG, Martin Dino, Oplan Kalinga 
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.