Makati Med to no longer admit COVID-19 patients as wards reach ‘full capacity’
MANILA, Philippines — Makati Medical Center (MMC) will no longer accept suspected and confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 patients as its critical care beds have reached full capacity.
An advisory by MMC dated July 13 posted by former Special Adviser of the National Task Force on COVID-19 Tony Leachon on Facebook said the hospital has already “reached its threshold in its capacity to respond to more COVID-19 patients.”
“We regret to inform you that after a thorough review of our bed utilization [particularly the critical care units] and manpower, and in consultation with our COVID-19 medical teams, MMC has now reached full capacity,” it said.
“This is in so far as our capability to handle patients suspected and confirmed to have COVID-19 is concerned,” MMC added.
It added that “COVID-19 zones” both in regular wards and critical care units, and especially the emergency room, are already full.
“We will exert every effort to find you another healthcare facility of your choice or ours,” the hospital said.
It however assured that admitted non-COVID patients’ safety and well-being “remain a priority.”
This is the second hospital to have announced full capacity of COVID-19 wards on Monday alone. St. Luke’s Medical Center in Quezon City and in Bonifacio Global City has likewise reached its full capacity of intensive care unit beds for coronavirus patients.
Last week, the Chinese General Hospital and Medical Center also announced it will no longer admit COVID-19 patients as its wards are already running at full capacity.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.