Eastern Visayas records 11 new COVID-19 cases; infected now at 625
TACLOBAN CITY- At least 11 people from Eastern Visayas have been found positive of the new coronavirus, bringing to 625 the total number of COVID-19 cases in Region 8.
The Department of Health-Eastern Visayas (DOH-8) office reported on July 11 that the new COVID-19 cases are from the towns of Barugo, Leyte and Naval town in Biliran which has three cases each; two cases each in Biliran and Almeria town, all in Biliran province; and one from Guiuan, Eastern Samar province.
The 11 patients are all locally stranded individuals (LSIs) who went back to their provinces.
Guiuan Mayor Annaliza Gonzales-Kwan said that while the town has recorded its first COVID-19 case, the patient, a woman who came from San Mateo town in Rizal province had already recovered.
“We have nothing to fear because Guiuan has no active case because she is now considered as recovered,” the town mayor said.
Gonzales-Kwan said the woman arrived in Guiuan on June 22 and was immediately confined at their quarantine facility.
The woman said to have developed symptoms on June 27 and was swabbed on June 30. The results came out on July 10.
Gonzales-Kwan said all the 19 direct contacts of the patients remain without symptoms.
Since the patient didn’t show any symptoms for the past nine days, the woman is now considered “recovered and clinically improved,” using the new criteria of the DOH, said Gonzales-Kwan.
Still, the patient will remain in their quarantine facility for another 14 days before she can be sent home.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.