Fire hits 13 houses in Quezon City
MANILA, Philippines — A fire believed to have been caused by either an overheated electric fan or a mobile phone left charging hit 13 houses in Barangay Culiat in Quezon City on Tuesday.
A resident was injured during the fire incident but no fatality had been reported, according to Senior Fire Inspector Enrico Navarro.
Navarro told reporters that firefighters received the alarm past 7 a.m. informing them of the fire in the residential area.
The fire, which reportedly originated from the house of one Germenihilda Nate, was raised to second alarm.
“May naiwanan siyang cellphone at electric fan. Natutulog yung mga anak niya at buti na lang nakalabas naman kaagad yung mga bata niya. Bale nasa 13th na kabahayan ang nasunog at meron pong humigit kumulang na 40 na pamilya ang apektado,” Navarro said.
(She left a cell phone charging and an electric fan was left plugged in. Her children were sleeping but fortunately they immediately got out. Around 13 houses and 40 families were affected.)
The blaze was declared “fire out” at around 8:35 a.m., more than an hour after the call was received, Navarro said.
The damage was estimated to be around P25,000, fire investigators said.
Fire inspectors then advised the public not to leave mobile phones while charging or unattended appliances while still plugged in.
“Kung iiwanan po natin ang ating bahay, maganda po ay tanggalin na lang po natin sa nakasaksak yung mga gamit na yun,” he said.
(If you will leave the house, make sure that plugs of the appliances are removed from the electrical socket.)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.