Bicol IATF adopts resolution to suspend return of stranded persons, OFWs
LEGAZPI CITY –– The Bicol Inter-Agency Task Force (BIATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases has adopted a resolution suspending for a month the return or travel of locally stranded individuals (LSIs) and Returning Overseas Filipinos (ROFs).
Since June 1, at least 26 returnees to the Bicol region have tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), while at least 14 of their close contacts upon returning have tested positive.
Noemi Bron, DOH Bicol health education and promotion officer, told the Inquirer that the response of the national IATF to the resolution adopted on June 23 was expected on July 7.
“If ever their response arrives earlier, it will be announced by BIATF chair Anthony Nuyda,” she told Inquirer, citing the Bicol director of Department of Interior and Local Government.
In the resolution, co-chairpersons Nuyda and DOH Bicol director Ernie Vera said that since they were allowed re-entry to the region, 17,858 LSIs and 1,046 ROFs have been accommodated in their respective hometowns while following a 14-day quarantine.
“Some LGUs have raised concern that their [designated] facilities are already in full capacity,” the co-chairpersons said.
They said that some facilities would be used by the Department of Education for the reopening of classes, further cutting the local government units’ resources.
On Friday evening, six more cases were added to the growing number of known COVID-19 cases in the Bicol region, raising the tally to 130.
Nine towns and cities have so far recorded new cases since Bicol transitioned to modified general community quarantine on June 1.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.