Close  

Prosecutor orders ‘Pride 20’ released for further investigation

By: - Reporter / @NikkaINQ
/ 05:10 AM July 02, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — After spending four nights in detention at the Manila Police District (MPD) headquarters, 17 of the 20 people arrested during a Pride march last week were ordered released for further investigation on Tuesday night.

The lawyer of the group dubbed “Pride 20” said that the Manila City Prosecutor’s Office had approved the recommendation to release her clients from police custody.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bahaghari national spokesperson Rey Valmores-Salinas, who was among those arrested, said they would file countercharges against the MPD.

‘Throwing first brick’

“We will throw the first brick,” she said, referring to the brick believed to have sparked the 1969 Stonewall uprising that represented a turning point for the gay rights movement.

FEATURED STORIES

“The fight will continue. We will not let the illegal arrest and the illegal detention slide,” Salinas stressed in a Facebook Live video that was posted shortly after their release at 7 p.m. Tuesday. At the same time, she warned that should the antiterror bill lapse into law, there would be more attacks against other individuals.

Last Friday, the group of activists marked Pride Month—an annual celebration by the LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer) community—with a march in which they called for equal rights and better assistance from the government. They also spoke out against the antiterror bill and jeepney ban while wearing masks and observing physical distancing.

Minors released

The protest ended with the group being dispersed and policemen commandeering the group’s vehicles. Twenty of them were arrested, but three were later released as they were minors.

They were charged with resistance and disobedience to authority, illegal assembly and violation of Republic Act No. 11332, or the Law on Reporting of Communicable Diseases.

Lopez said that it took time for the resolution for the group’s release to be issued as the city prosecutor’s office was open only on Tuesdays and Fridays.

They plan to file countercharges against the MPD this week or early next week.

“We will definitely question the illegality of the arrest,” she told the Inquirer.

ADVERTISEMENT

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Subscribe to the Inquirer COVID-19 Newsletter
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 2020 Pride March, coronavirus pandemic, coronavirus Philippines, COVID-19, Pride 20, quarantine violations
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.