Manila, QC churches on lockdown as COVID-19 infects priest, staff
MANILA, Philippines — Two churches in Metro Manila have been placed on lockdown after some staff members, including a priest, were found positive for the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Fr. Jojo Buenafe, parish priest of Santisima Trinidad Parish in Malate, Manila, said that it was decided to temporarily close the church after he and a male staffer were infected by the contagious disease.
“[This is] to prevent the spread of the virus,” Buenafe said in a June 26 Facebook post, adding that contact tracing was underway to identify the people they had interacted with.
According to him, he was currently recuperating in his room, away from other personnel who were also under voluntary quarantine despite showing no symptoms of COVID-19.
Village officials informed
The infected staffer, on the other hand, was recovering in the hospital, Buenafe said, adding that the parish had been in contact with barangay officials for the implementation of health protocols.
The parish had also coordinated with the Ministry of Health Care of the Archdiocese of Manila for their medical needs and assistance, the priest added as he asked for prayers.
“We’re asking for your patience and understanding … we’re also asking for your prayers so we can quickly recover and overcome this trial,” Buenafe said.
In Quezon City, the Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal Parish also announced it would observe a two-week temporary lockdown, which began on June 25.
Based on an announcement posted on its Facebook page, one office staffer had tested positive for COVID-19.
“This temporary measure has been immediately decided and implemented, in addition to subsequent swab testing of parish personnel, for the protection of everyone,” it said, adding that online Masses would continue.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.