Interns, seniors allowed to go out for essential travel during GCQ — Eleazar
MANILA, Philippines — Interns and senior citizens are allowed to go outside for essential travel during the general community quarantine (GCQ), Police Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, Joint Task Force COVID Shield commander, said on Thursday.
In an interview with dzMM, Eleazar said interns who were hired by companies allowed to operate during the GCQ are permitted to report for work.
“Pwede pa rin po yun kasi sinasabi nga po natin na kung sila ay member ng mga workforce na allowed mag-operate considered po sila doon sa sinasabi nating exemption na yun,” he said when asked if those with on the job training (OJT) are allowed to leave their homes for work.
(That is still allowed because what we are saying is that if they are a member of the workforce that is allowed to operate, they are considered in that exemption.)
Eleazar, meanwhile, said senior citizens are allowed to go outside if they need to buy essential goods or if they will report for work.
“Sa mga senior, kung kayo po ay member ng workforce at kung kailangan talaga kayo allowed pa rin kayo or walang ibang pwedeng magavail nitong services,” the police official said when asked if seniors are allowed to go outside of their homes.
(For seniors, if you are members of the workforce and you need to go to work you are allowed to go outside or if there is nobody else to avail their services.)
Eleazar also reminded that senior citizens who are “physically fit” will be allowed to report for work, noting that most establishments and businesses check for body temperatures and screen employees for fever.
“Kasi alam naman nating sa edad na 60 pataas, lalo na mga owners at nagpapatakbo ng negosyo ay napakahalaga, as long as physically fit sila. ‘Yung pagchecheck ng temperature sa establishment nandun pa rin para ipatupad,” he said.
(Because we know that senior citizens aged 60 above, especially owners with businesses, it is important that as long as they are physically fit. Checking of temperature in establishments is still being implemented.)
The Metro Manila Council, which is composed of the 17 mayors of Metro Manila, had previously agreed to recommend the downgrading of Metro Manila’s status to GCQ on June 1. The National Capital Region is currently under a modified enhanced community quarantine which was enforced last May 16 and is expected to end on May 31.
Areas under GCQ will have restricted movements but the government and almost all industries will be allowed to operate with up to 75 percent of their workforce except for establishments engaged in leisure and entertainment.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.