Stations ‘illegally’ operating during elections slapped with CDOs – NTC
MANILA, Philippines — An official from the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) disclosed on Wednesday that the agency has previously issued cease-and-desist orders against broadcast stations that operated “illegally” during elections.
NTC Commissioner Gamaliel Cordoba revealed this during a Senate committee hearing tackling a proposed measure that seeks the non-expiration of legislative franchises with pending renewal in Congress.
It was Senate Minority Franklin Drilon, the proponent of the measure, who asked Cordoba of what would constitute the issuance of a cease-and-desist order.
Citing rules and procedures of the commission, Cordoba said the NTC could issue a cease-and-desist order (CDO) motu proprio if a radio station or a broadcast (station) is operating illegally without any permit.”
“We have already issued them (CDOs) because sometimes, especially during elections, there are illegal stations that crop up. They start broadcasting, so what we do is we issue cease-and-desist orders right away to stop their illegal operations because they don’t have any franchise, no permit from the government,” he added.
“During the 2019 elections, we issued cease-and-desist orders because most of these illegal stations crop up and start operating without any franchise or license during elections, madami po yun (there were a lot),” he further said.
Senator Francis Pangilinan, chair of the constitutional amendments and revision of codes and on public services committee, then asked the NTC officials to submit a list of cases wherein it has issued CDOs in the past.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.