Coronavirus-positive OFW returned to quarantine, says PH Coast Guard
MANILA, Philippines—A migrant worker who had returned to the country and tested positive for coronavirus had been returned to quarantine following his escape, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) said on Monday (May 18).
The overseas Filipino worker (OFW) escaped pending clearance from the Bureau of Quarantine (BOQ).
He was a 49-year-old resident of Quezon City. His relatives and other persons who had contact with him had been in isolation and had been tested, said PCG spokesperson Commodore Armando Balilo.
He began his mandatory quarantine on May 11 at a BOQ- accredited quarantine facility in Pasay City before he escaped on May 15.
The PCG is currently searching for seven other OFWs who had also escaped quarantine facilities before completing the 14-day isolation period.
“They shall be arrested and shall face charges for violating quarantine protocols and for compromising the health and safety of their families and communities,” Balilo said.
The OFWs, he said, had been given briefing on general quarantine, given droplet samples for tests and signed a document saying they agreed to go on quarantine while awaiting results of tests and BOQ clearance.
Edited by TSB
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.