35,000 flee homes as Typhoon Ambo barrels its way to Bicol | Inquirer News

35,000 flee homes as Typhoon Ambo barrels its way to Bicol

By: - Correspondent / @msarguellesINQ
/ 07:26 PM May 14, 2020

LEGAZPI CITY—At least 35,000 people had already evacuated in Albay as Typhoon Ambo (international name Vongfong) barrelled its way to the Bicol region.

Cedric Daep, Albay Public Safety Emergency and Management Office (Apsemo), said those were the first evacuees from at least four towns.

ADVERTISEMENT

Daep said he expects at least 80,000 individuals to flee areas at risk of floods, landslides and storm surge and move to safer ground. Mass evacuation is ongoing in 15 towns and three cities.

The entire Bicol peninsula was under storm Signal No. 3 as of 5 p.m.

FEATURED STORIES

According to the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa), Typhoon Ambo was moving west at 15 kph with maximum winds of 155 kph and gustiness of 255 kph.

The storm was expected to make landfall between 10 p.m. of Thursday (May 14) and 4 a.m. of Friday (May 15), bringing moderate to heavy rains to the provinces of Masbate, Sorsogon, Albay, Camarines Sur and Catanduanes.

Edited by TSB

Click here for more weather related news.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Evacuation, Flooding, Landslide, shelters, storm, Storm surge, Typhoon, Typhoon Ambo, Weather
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.