Preparing for ‘Ambo’: Forced evacuation of 350,000 ordered in Northern Samar
TACLOBAN CITY — Northern Samar Gov. Edwin Ongchuan has ordered the forced evacuation of at least 70,000 families or 350,000 individuals as Tropical Storm Ambo barrels into the region.
Rei Josiah Echano, head of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (PDRRMO), said work had been suspended in the coastal towns of Laoang, Palapag, Mapanas, Gamay, and Lapinig as Signal No. 3 was hoisted over the province on Thursday (May 14).
“The governor has realigned our resources for preparedness measures,” Echano said.
He said food and nonfood items had been readied.
The suspension of work in the province covered government and private offices and establishments.
Exempted from the work suspension order were employees of the PDRRMO, Provincial Office of Social Welfare, Provincial Health Office, provincial hospital, and national government agencies like the National Food Authority.
Edited by TSB
Click here for more weather related news.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.