Duterte wants health professionals to remain in the country | Inquirer News
Close  
LEGALITY OF STOPPING MIGRATION UNDER STUDY

Duterte wants health professionals to remain in the country

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte wants Filipino health care workers to stay put while the world grapples with the pandemic caused by the novel coronavirus.

In a televised address on Monday night, the President said he did not want Filipino doctors and nurses under threat of dying in other countries plagued with COVID-19.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said he would consult “maybe two days from now” with Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra, “whether or not it would be legal for us to just stop the migration of health workers simply because they are being taken in a place where there is so much [illness].”

He added: “What pains me is that now other countries need desperately the help of [health-care] manpower [from elsewhere]. In a jiffy [Filipino health-care workers] are given the necessary travel documents, to our disadvantage, really.”

FEATURED STORIES

Duterte made the remarks after the Department of Health reported that 1,694 health-care workers in 11 facilities in the country had tested positive for COVID-19.

Last month, health-care workers were temporarily barred from leaving for overseas employment in line with the government’s efforts to ensure steady manpower for the healthcare sector. But those with existing employment contracts were eventually allowed to fly out.

The President himself warned then that the country might face a shortage of healthcare professionals if they continued to leave for greener pastures.

More valid reason

He even blamed the United States for easing its visa requirements in order to make it easier for Filipino nurses to seek employment with American hospitals.

On Monday, however, Duterte noted that this time, there was “a more valid reason to stop a doctor or a nurse” from leaving.

“Please don’t misunderstand me,” he said. “I am making it clear now. I do not want you to go there and come back in a coffin. That’s my only argument, if you may, because you are Filipinos and I love the lives of my countrymen,”

Malacañang said last weekend that with the growing number of medical frontliners stricken by COVID-19, the government was doing its best to beef up the healthcare sector.

ADVERTISEMENT

One of the measures is the approval of the limited practice of medical school students as well as still unlicensed graduates.

The Inter-Agency Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases said the recruitment of medical school graduates would be a “last resort” for the country, which is in a state of public health emergency due to COVID-19.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Subscribe to the Inquirer COVID-19 Newsletter
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: coronavirus pandemic, coronavirus Philippines, COVID-19, health workers, Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.