Negros Oriental drafts measures to transition from enhanced to general quarantine status | Inquirer News
Close  

Negros Oriental drafts measures to transition from enhanced to general quarantine status

/ 06:20 PM April 30, 2020

DUMAGUETE CITY –– The provincial government here is finalizing an executive order (EO) that will formalize the specific measures to aid the transition from an enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) to general community quarantine (GCQ) starting May 1.

The E.O. will be the basis of the Dumaguete Mayor’s Executive Order to revert the capital city’s status under a GCQ.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I cannot say there are zero cases in the province but I am proud to say that in every test we conducted, all are negative [for the coronavirus],” said Gov. Roel Degamo in a meeting with the Negros Oriental Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Disease.

Dr. Liland Bustamante-Estacion, head of the Provincial Epidemiology Surveillance Unit, confirmed that there had been no more reported local transmissions of COVID-19.

FEATURED STORIES

She said COVID-related data in the province justifies the transition to a GCQ.

She said that as of April 28, four persons were tested positive for COVID-19 in Negros Oriental.

Two of these have died and one has recovered, while another was scheduled to be discharged from the hospital.

Based on those numbers, the National IATF had categorized Negros Oriental as “moderate risk” and downgraded its status to a GCQ.

Some GCQ measures presented to the mayors include strict physical distancing, continued washing of hands, and mandatory wearing of masks in public places.

Degamo warned the uniformed personnel not to let their guard down at the provincial boundaries as the neighboring provinces of Cebu and Negros Occidental, he said, continued to register COVID-19 cases.

Other measures include the pull-out of all checkpoints in all the towns, cities, and barangays in the province; and the termination of all quarantine passes.

ADVERTISEMENT

The enforcement agencies, including barangay officials, have been tasked to continue monitoring the movement of people during the GCQ.

Senior citizens and those aged 20 and below will continue to be prohibited from leaving their homes.

Mass gatherings also continue to be regulated, including cockfights and other forms of gambling, religious activities like masses or worship services, and social functions like parties.

Degamo said the seaports and airports in the province would remain closed.

He said construction work could resume, and delivery of supplies and cargoes throughout the province shall remain unhampered.

Public transport, like buses and jeepneys, will be allowed to operate but only within Negros Oriental.

The Provincial E.O. is also ordering all local governments that allow the operation of motor cabs-for-hire to adopt a number-coding scheme to regulate the number of pedicabs on the road on a given day.

LZB

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Coronavirus, coronavirus disease, COVID-19, ECQ, enhanced community quarantine, GCQ, general community quarantine, Negros Oriental, Philippine news updates, Regions
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.