Sorsogon bakeries will give poor residents free bread during quarantine | Inquirer News
Close  

Sorsogon bakeries will give poor residents free bread during quarantine

By: - Reporter / @ConsINQ
/ 11:05 PM April 18, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Sorgoson provincial government gave flour to 238 bakeries so they could make free bread for poor families during the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine enforced to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus disease, or COVID-19.

In a statement on Saturday, Sorsogon Gov. Francis “Chiz” Escudero said the bakeries were given four sacks of flour each, which was part of 1,000 sacks acquired with the help of  San Miguel Corp.

ADVERTISEMENT

The bakeries are only required to give 30% of their bread to Sorsogon towns, while they could sell the remaining 70% so they could make extra income, Escudero said.

The idea came from “Bread of Life: Bishop’s Bread Project,” which was initiated by the Diocese of Sorsogon, the governor said.

FEATURED STORIES

“I hope this project will help augment the needs of families in need. We are all going through difficulties during these times. But the impact of this will be double or triple on our countrymen who were already poor even before the quarantine started,” Escudero said, speaking partly in Filipino.

/atm

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: coronavirus Philippines, COVID-19, enhanced community quarantine, Francis Escudero, free bread
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.