Duterte: Probe local execs in cockfighting, drinking binge amid Luzon lockdown | Inquirer News
Close  

Duterte: Probe local execs in cockfighting, drinking binge amid Luzon lockdown

/ 09:55 PM April 16, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) to investigate local community officials involved in illegal cockfighting events and drinking sessions despite the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Itong mga local government units (LGUs), I’d like the DILG to investigate sino nagpasabong at pati ‘yung nag-iinuman,” Duterte said in a taped speech aired Thursday night.

(These LGUs, I’d like the DILG to investigate who are behind the illegal derby and drinking binge.)

FEATURED STORIES

The President said local officials found guilty of involvement in these banned activities during the strict quarantine should not expect help from him.

“For those people who are identified by the barangay captains and the mayors who are violating the quarantine: Pasensya ho kayo. Help would not (come),” he said.

Earlier, Manila Mayor Isko Moreno paid a visit to Barangay 129 in neighboring Caloocan City in search of its barangay chairman and other village officials who are wanted for alleged illegal cockfighting at the Manila North Cemetery on Good Friday, and even while the enhanced community quarantine is in place.

The government earlier announced it will enforce stricter implementation of the lockdown measures after it observed an increased number of violators and vehicles plying along Edsa and major thoroughfares in Metro Manila.

According to the Philippine National Police (PNP), 108,088 have so far violated the lockdown rules as of Monday, April 13.

Duterte placed the entire Luzon, home to about half the country’s total population, under a month-long enhanced community quarantine to curtail the further spread of COVID-19. The quarantine was extended until April 30.

The measure stopped all public transportation, banned mass gatherings, and strictly enforced home quarantine as work for the majority of the region’s residents was suspended. People are only allowed to go out for provision of food and other basic necessities and in cases of emergency.

KGA

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 2019-nCoV, China, cockfighting, Coronavirus, coronavirus Philippines, COVID-19, DILG, DoH, Health, Local news, Local officials, lockdown, Luzon, Malacañang, Metro Manila, Nation, National Emergency, national news, NcoV, nCoV update, News, novel coronavirus, Outbreak, pandemic, Philippine news updates, Quarantine, Rodrigo Duterte, State of Calamity, Virus, Wuhan
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.