Close  

Gov’t considering ‘total lockdown’ if quarantine violations continue

By: - Reporter / @KAguilarINQ
/ 01:59 PM April 16, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The government is considering a “total lockdown” should violators of the enhanced community quarantine persist, Malacañang said Thursday.

“Nung huling press briefing ko po pinaanunsyo sa akin na fake news po yung kumakalat nang balita na magkakaroon ng total lockdown. Pero hindi po fake news na kinukunsidera ang total lockdown lalong lalo na kung magpapatuloy yung mga pasaway sa ating mga kalsada,” Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in a virtual briefing.

ADVERTISEMENT

(During my last press briefing, I was asked to announce that reports of a total lockdown being imposed was fake news. But what’s not fake news is that a total lockdown is being considered especially if violators persists in our streets.)

Over 100,000 people have violated protocols of the Luzon-wide quarantine, authorities earlier said.

FEATURED STORIES

Roque asked the public to fulfil their own duties by staying at home as the end of the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine on April 30 nears.

“Wag na po natin pahabain pa itong ECQ. Tumupad na po tayo sa ating obligasyon at kakaunting panahon na lamang po ang natitira sa ating ECQ. Isang linggo. Konting tulog na lang po ito. Pagtiyagaan na po natin,” Roque said.

(Let’s not prolong the ECQ. Let us fulfil our obligation since only a short time is left for our ECQ. One week. It’s only a few sleeps away. Let’s be patient on this.)

“Pero pag hindi po natin napa-flatten ang curve, hindi natin nabawasan ang mga kaso ng COVID, syempre po isa yan sa option na ikukunsidera,” he added.

(But if we don’t flatten the curve and the number of COIVD-19 cases do not decrease, it is one of the options that is being considered.)

The Inter-agency Task Force (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases said it is already discussing the government’s gameplan when the Luzon-wide lockdown lapses.

The Philippines as of Wednesday confirmed 5,453 cases of the respiratory disease with 349 fatalities and 353 recoveries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Manila Mayor Isko Moreno recently issued schedule restrictions on Blumentritt market upon getting reports that market goers had been crowding the area, in violation of the government’s physical distancing measures.

The Quezon City government likewise ordered stricter precautionary measures in all of the public and private markets after also getting reports that social distancing and sanitation procedures were not being followed by residents, in compliance with quarantine guidelines.

EDV

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: coronavirus Philippines, COVID-19, enhanced community quarantine, Malacañang, Palace, total lockdown
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.