outbrain
Close  

COVID-19 quarantine: All classes in Baguio suspended until May 31

/ 02:59 PM April 09, 2020

STRINGENT MEASURES. Policemen continued to regulate entry into downtown Baguio on Wednesday morning (April 8) and have turned away people not scheduled for food and medical supply runs. The city has recorded 14 patients infected with the coronavirus disease. About 8 of them have since recovered. Photo by Vincent Cabreza

BAGUIO CITY–Classes in all schools and universities of this mountain city will continue to be suspended until May 31, Mayor Benjamin Magalong announced on Maundy Thursday (April 9).

Schools were shut down after Malacañang enforced a Luzon-wide community lockdown as a precaution against the spread of COVID-19 through human-to-human transmission. It was supposed to end on Easter Sunday (April 12).

ADVERTISEMENT

But with the quarantine extended until April 30, community leaders and industries agreed to prolong class suspensions in all learning institutions “as we remain consistent with the remarkable steps being undertaken against COVID-19,” Magalong said.

The city has recorded 14 cases of infection although eight of the patients had already recovered as of Wednesday (April 8). One died on March 19 and had been included on the list of positive cases recently.

FEATURED STORIES

But no new COVID-19 case had been recorded in Baguio since March 28, suggesting that the city may be “flattening the curve,” a statistical measure of the infection starting to die down and become manageable.

In sustaining “the stringent measures,” Magalong said residents “should not be complacent and must continue to be vigilant in the face of this emerging disease.”

As of Thursday, four villages have been receiving cash grants from the national government’s social amelioration program.

Magalong said village officials, volunteers and social workers are working throughout the Holy Week to process and complete documentary requirements to speed up the release of the financial aid. A poor household can receive up to P5,500 to help members ride out the last three weeks of the lockdown.

The city government this week began consulting with business and economic leaders to hammer out a “reopening” plan for local industries once the quarantine is lifted, City Administrator Bonifacio dela Peña said in a statement. Details of the plan have not been revealed.

Edited by TSB

ADVERTISEMENT

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: #COVID19PH, Coronavirus, coronavirus Philippines, lockdown, Quarantine, Schools, shutdown
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.